One Plus One Plus One is equal to Four
One Plus One Plus One is equal to Four
A teacher teaching Mathematics to seven-year-old Manan asked him, “If I give you one apple and one apple and one apple, how many apples will you have?”
Within a few seconds Manan replied confidently, “Four!”
The dismayed teacher was expecting an effortless correct answer, three. She was disappointed. “Maybe the child did not listen properly.” – she thought.
She repeated, “Manan, listen carefully. If I give you one apple and one apple and one apple, how many apples will you have?”
Manan had seen the disappointment on his teacher’s face. He calculated again on his fingers. But within him he was also searching for the answer that will make the teacher happy. His search for the answer was not for the correct one, but the one that will make his teacher happy.
This time hesitatingly he replied, “Four.”
The disappointment stayed on the teacher’s face. She remembered that Manan liked strawberries.
She thought maybe he doesn’t like apples and that is making him loose focus.
This time with an exaggerated excitement and twinkling in her eyes she asked, “If I give you one strawberry and one strawberry and one strawberry, then how many you will have?”
Seeing the teacher happy, young Manan calculated on his fingers again. There was no pressure on him, but a little on the teacher. She wanted her new approach to succeed.
With a hesitating smile young Manan replied, “Three?”
The teacher now had a victorious smile. Her approach had succeeded. She wanted to congratulate herself.
But one last thing remained. Once again she asked him, “Now if I give you one apple and one apple and one more apple how many will you have?”
Promptly Manan answered, “Four!”
The teacher was aghast. “How Manan, how?” she demanded in a little stern and irritated voice.
In a voice that was low and hesitating young Manan replied, “Because I already have one apple in my bag.”
When someone gives you an answer that is different from what you expect, don’t think they are wrong. There shall be an angle that you may not have thought about yet.
Moral : When someone gives you an answer that is different from what you expect, don’t think they are wrong. There shall be an angle that you may not have thought about yet.
13th October 2018
#motivation #inspiration #shortstory #story #selfconfidence #versionpb #mustread #confidence #apples
Now Read all motivational stories of versionPB via Short Motivational Stories app.
Get it from Google Play Store for free @
- 10th Apple Effect
- A blank question paper
- A King’s Painting
- Angel for someone
- As we think so we become
- Beautiful Interpretation
- Blind Horse
- Brave little tortoise Story
- Broken Vase
- Catching the Big Fish
- Choose your battles wisely
- Cow and Pig
- Do not judge a book by its cover
- Ducks Quack Eagles Soar !
- Effect of words
- Effort in Life
- Enjoy every moment
- Experience can make one wise
- Face what you must Face
- Fly High but Stay Connected
- Forget Criticism , Judge yourself , You are the best Judge
- God’s Coffee
- Half Hearted Effort
- Happiness comes from within
- Happy Story
- ice cream allergy
- Just Never give up !
- Let us be Happy
- Love, Unity, Care,Satisfaction is richer than any comfort money gives
- Lucky or Unlucky ?
- Need vs Greed
- Never Give Up !!
- One Plus One Plus One is equal to Four
- OPTIMISM Story
- Overcoming Difficulties
- Password can change your Life
- Picture of peace
- Positive Effect of Negatives
- Potatoes, Eggs, and Coffee Beans
- Recharge Yourself
- Secret of Success
- Secret of true happiness
- Self Confidence is all what you need
- Stay Happy – A rare conversation between Sri Krishna & Arjun
- Stop being a glass. Become a lake
- Story for growth
- Story of Faith
- Sweetness of Sour Oranges
- The anger is within
- The Crying lady
- The Eagle and The Chicken
- The Elephant and the blind Men
- The Elephant belief
- The Great Battle
- The Journey
- The master and the tiger
- The Minister and the Dogs
- The missing Goat
- The Pregnant Dog and Elephant
- The Proud Rose
- The Tiger and the fox
- The Wow Approach
- There is Solution to Every Problem
- Triple Filter Test
- Two traveling angels
- Ubuntu Life – I am because We Are
- Un-complicate , Be Simple , Think Lateral
- Value of Life
- Who is packing your parachute?
- Who is poor, Who is rich?
- You are special – Don’t ever forget it!
- उसको तो फ़र्क पड़ता है – Hindi Short Story !