WiFi Router as a Repeater to Boost WiFi Signal
I am using Airtel WiFi with a speed of 8 Mbps at my home but as my apartment is little big WiFi signals in the other room (i.e room which is away from the room where i have kept my Router) where i usually sit were very low and i was getting speed only of 0.11 Mbps . I called Airtel engineer to fix the speed issue but he told me that issue is the signal strength , and as i tried to check speed while sitting near to Router or by connecting a LAN wire from router Speed was going as high as 8 Mbps . Most of my experience with Airtel were bad but this time i felt its more on the router side 🙂
He Suggested me to either buy a new router whose range is better or buy a WiFi repeater or WiFi amplifier . All these could be bought easily at Amazon
In the mean time i tried downloading an app on my android phone to boost WiFi signal which helped a bit but it was not 100% successful and i wanted to do a permanent fix of this issue .
Then i realized that i had some old routers with me which i was using in my old home , so I thought of using those old routers as repeater of my current Internal signal i.e. to Amplify the signal of my real WiFi here with Internet . I performed the following steps:
- I connected my old WiFi to a power socket in the room where current WiFi speed as measured by http://www.speedtest.net was 0.1 MBPS .
- Connect to this WiFi router by selecting the SSID Name of this router . Default SSID Name can be found on the back of the router . In my case as this was my old WiFi router so my my laptop was showing signals of my old internet SSID , so i connected to it .
- Open the new router admin page which usually should open at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 with a login user and password . You will find this IP , username and password at the opposite side of the router .
- Click on the Wireless tab and navigate to Repeater Tab
- In this section click on use as repeater and add the SSID of the current WiFi (i.e. the one with real internet) and also add their username and password .
- Click on done and then your WiFi router will restart .
- Once done after around 1 minute i could see a new WiFi Signal in my laptop WiFi signal and the name of the new signal was OldSSID-ext . I connected to it and then i was able to browse the internet .
- If i check speed now via http://www.speedtest.net the speed comes as 3.08Mbps
Good enough to do browsing and far far better than using an android app to boost WiFi or purchasing a new repeater .
Now whenever i want to work in this room i just turn this repeater on and i am able to use internet with better speed . If i want to go to terrace and work there , i take my old router along , connect it to power and i get great better signals and internet there .